>> SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES
At the beginning of the Knowledge Society era the fourth Dubrovnik Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment System is aimed to promote a new strategy in the development of life support systems. This Conference is a new venue in the improvement of quality through the dissemination, exchange and promotion of new ideas for the interdisciplinary, multi-cultural and multi-criteria evaluation of complex system. Sustainability science is a new discourse aimed at promoting a new strategy in the development of complex systems.
The 2007 Dubrovnik Conference main theme will be transport. Transport problems in our society are becoming increasingly demanding, which requires increased attention of the engineering and scientific community. In particular, sustainable development requires special attention to the transport problems, including: innovation of transport structure, introduction of hybrid vehicles, increase of efficiency of transport systems, development of new fuels, as biofuels, hydrogen and electricity, and development of pollution control. The 2007 Dubrovnik Conference will thus invite those interested in transport problems to propose special sessions devoted to different aspect of transport, including engineering, social, and environment aspects.
The conference will also retain the broad rational scope of the Program, maintaining attention to energy, water and environment as the essential commodities needed for human life. In the development of our civilization these three commodities have served as the fundamental resources for the economic, social and cultural development. Sustainability is the concept of resource use in ways that meet the present needs of modern society while not compromising the needs of the future generations. In this respect the conference will focus on the following objectives as they apply to both developing countries that wish to improve the quality of life of their citizens, and to countries that are developed and resource-rich but wish to sustain the future quality of life of their citizens:
- Development of new methods for the analysis and evaluation of complex system
- Promotion of a new field of sustainability science that seeks to understand the fundamental character of interactions between nature and society
- Development of inter-disciplinary partnership bringing together leading experts in physical, life and environmental sciences, engineering, economic and social sciences.
- Analysis of potential scientific and technological processes reflecting energy, water and environment exchange
- Study of the sustainable development in agriculture
- Development of models of energy, water and environment systems and their evaluation
- Biofuels sustainability
- Hydrogen strategy and sustainable development
- Hybrid vehicles sustainability
- Enhanced methodologies for assessing the comparative sustainability of different technological options, particularly energy and water intensive technologies, taking into account economic, environmental, resource use and social validation.
- Education in Sustainable Development at all levels, specially higher education, oriented towards foster environmentally aware attitudes, skills and behaviour patterns, as well as a sense of ethical responsibility